I suggest you ...

Use Facial Recognition Technology to Match Up Museum Artworks

If we could apply facial recognition technology to works of art in our collection, I think very interesting "match ups" or works with similar features would emerge across really broad groups of artworks. Perhaps we could build out a "see also" tour, or some kind of app that facilitates "if you like this artwork, check out this similar work".

19 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kate shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael Raphael commented  · 

Okay, but has it been done in 3D?? Here's a thought - you 3D scan the faces of various sculptures at The Walters and then capture museum attendees with a 3D photo booth to determine which sculpture they most closely resemble. Could also then 3D print the mini-sculptures with peoples faces. Could be a lot of fun!

• Will commented  · 

This could also be expanded globally, and not only give you the subject with the most similar features to yours, but also give you options (using public images from museums around the world) for other works.
        Ex: You most resemble :this saint: at the Walters, but, if you're ever in Frankfurt, check out :this guy: at the Städel Museum!

• Will commented  · 

Also, maybe users could upload their own picture, run it through the facial recognition software, and find the object on view that has the most similar features, or maybe the top three.

Feedback and Knowledge Base